Beard Oil is a specially made conditioner for moisturizing and protecting your beard. It makes your beard soft and flake-free. It also has a fragrance that makes your beard smell good. If your beard itches, you should give beard oil a try. Typically, beard oils are made up of argan oil, grapeseed oil and jojoba oil ( also known as Simmondsia Chinensis).
If you’re into beard grooming and wondering “Can Beard Oil Give you Acne?”, you are in the right place.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
Can Beard Oil Give you Acne?
Beard oils containing comedogenic ingredients can cause Acne.
Basically, Comedogenic are those ingredients that clog the skin pores. Skin clogging is the main cause of acne in beards. Therefore it is essential, to avoid beard oils that contain the Comedogenic ingredients.
Some of the most common Comedogenic ingredients/oils that should be avoided in beard oils are:
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Algae Extracts
- Lauric Acid
- Wheat Germ Oil
- Shea Butter
- Stearic Acid
So in a nutshell, if you avoid comedogenic oils, the risk of you getting acne using beard oil is minimal. However, if you have sensitive and acne-prone skin, scroll down for more information.
How to select the best beard oil for acne-prone skin/ Sensitive skin?
There are no specific beard oils for acne-prone and sensitive skin. Most of the reputed brands sell 100% Natural beard oils that are safe to use in general. However, if you have acne and sensitive skin problem, here are words of caution for you:
- Consult your Dermatologist if you’ve extra sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Avoid using strong shampoos. If possible use only herbal shampoos for hair wash.
- Avoid using conditioners as they contain silicones. Conditioners can make your hair soft for a while. It does so by coating your hair with the silicone layer. This coating blocks nourishment to your beard hairs and ultimately it leads your hairs to break.
- Avoid using too hot or too cold water for the shower. Lukewarm water is the best.
Although Beard Oils from reputed brands are 100% Natural, you should also be mindful of whether or not you have an allergy to any oils or ingredients. Most people are unaware of allergies to specific ingredients. So it’s always a good idea to try and test new oils first.
It’s good to ask for a free sample of beard oil if available or Chinensis by its smallest quantity. Apply that oil for a week regularly after your bath. If everything is fine about your skin in a week, you’ve got the beard oil right for your skin.
Is it safe to use Beard Oil?
If you buy beard oils from reputed brands, they are 100% natural and hence totally safe. but you just have to be careful that it doesn’t contain the above-mentioned Comedogenic oils.
Beard oils from reputed brands are a mix of carrier oil, vitamins and essential oils that are useful for maintaining a healthy beard.
Typically, Carrier Oils makes more than 90% of your beard oil. These are oils extracted from seeds, nuts and plants. Carrier oils are used to moisturize your skin and dilute the essential oils which are volatile and too strong for direct use.
Carrier oils also go deeper into your skin and infuse essential oils. Some of the most popular Carrier oils are :
- Jojoba Oil: It’s natural anti-fungal and easily absorbed by the skin. It is perfect moisturizer for skin and also has a long shelf life.
- Argan Oil: It is known to have anti-aging properties and is best for healing and skin repair. Argan oil also protects the skin from harmful UV rays. It is a rich source of Vitamin A and E.
- Castor Oil: It is best known for antibacterial properties as it’s rich in Ricinoleic acid that kills acne-causing bacteria in the skin. Hence it is effective for acne cure. Also, castor oil moisturizes the skin. These traits qualify castor oil as one of the best carrier oil.
- Neem Oil: It is best used to heal skin and hair damage. It is insect repellent and eliminates parasites. Neem oil is rich in Vitamin E.
- Avocado Oil: It is used as a conditioner for a skin. Avocado oil is rich in vitamin A, E, B and D. It also has anti-aging properties and especially helpful in nourishing old and mature skin.
There are many other carrier oils having more or less similar properties. Do explore this part and let me know in comments!
Along with carrier oil, beard oil also contain Essential ingredients for skin.
Essential oils are used to provide extra medical benefits to the skin. Also, they add natural fragrance to the beard oil.
Let’s see some of the most common essential oils for beards :
- Lemon Oil: It removes toxins from your skin and cleans it. Lemon is also beneficial for the hairs.
- Eucalyptus oil: It has antibacterial properties that protect your skin. Eucalyptus oil is also useful in treating respiratory diseases.
- Lavender Oil: It is useful for the treatment of acne. It is mild on skin and it has a noticeable fragrance of its own. Lavender Oil also prevents hair loss and relieves pain.
- Peppermint oil : It is great for keeping your skin cool. It also works as Chinensisantiseptic. It has a great fragrance that makes you feel good.
Some of the most reputed beard oil brands :
- Viking Revolution
- The Gentlemen’s Beard
- Old Spice
There are tons of good ones to pick and choose from. Have a look at Slick a brand from Byron Bay in Australia that is under $20 on Amazon and is all natural. Slick Beard Oil
Does beard oil really work?
Yes. Beard Oil does work! There are at least 5 guys I know who are using beard oils and they are enjoying its benefits. Before using beard oil t at least 2 of them were facing problems like beard dandruff, flakes, and dryness. Now it’s gone. They are proud and happier than before about beards.
Besides moisturizing beard, the beard oil also protects your skin and hair from pollution and weather changes. It also makes your beard look more presentable and pleasant.
When should you apply Beard Oil?
It is best to apply beard oil right after you take the morning shower. If you are having beard dandruff and flakes, you will need to use it twice a day. Just ensure you wash and dry your beard before applying beard oil to enjoy its benefits to the fullest.
Can you use hair oil for the beard?
No. Hair oils should never be used for beards as hair oils are made to nourish the scalp which is thicker than facial skin. So for facial skin, we need an oil that is light and yet deeply nourishing.
Depending on weather conditions, using hair oil on beard can make you more oily. Also, it is found that Hair oils are more likely to cause acne.
Therefore, it is better to go for a beard oil instead of hair oil.